Saturday, July 23, 2011

(3) Questions, Answers, and More Questions

Over the Hills of Whittier: Questions, Answers, and More Questions
(Beau)

Tuesday Morning
The meteors were spectacular.  Bambi and I lay between the canyon and the heavens half the night, alone in the middle of millions.  We watched the sky and talked about life, dreams and blessings, hopes. 

At one point we fell asleep for a while.  I awoke to the awe-inspiring spectacle of seven or eight meteors streaking across the sky at once.  Everyone should have the experience of waking up to that sight at least once.  I woke Bambi and we watched the grand procession of lights for a few minutes before walking back down, hand in hand, to our home. 

The sun was up before we were.  I pulled myself out of bed, grabbed a banana for breakfast, and dressed. 

We needed to take care of some business matters.  Bambi called the preschool to ensure everything was under control, and promised to stop by later.  I called my office at Whittier College and learned that nothing was happening.  We were, after all, between academic terms. 

Then, for the first time since we left the hospital room, we talked about Eddie and his situation.

Bambi was of the opinion that the loan sharks who were threatening her were at the heart of Rosa’s troubles.  I wish I could have agreed.  A loan shark problem is easily solved with nothing more than money.  Other problems can be a lot more complicated.  Given the intensity of Eddie’s concern, his emphasis on communication rather than on financial matters, and the involvement of at least one addict in the story (Carmen), I did not think Rosa’s problems were primarily about money.  I was pretty sure that drugs were involved.  But we didn’t know, really.  We needed to learn more. 

By mid-morning we were on our way back to Whittier Hospital. We parked at the east end of the building rather than in the main parking lot, to be closer to the Bambi’s preschool.  Have I mentioned that Bambi runs a preschool in Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church next door to Whittier Hospital?  It’s handy for her sometimes, like today.  She was planning to stop by after we talked to Eddie.

We went straight to Eddie’s room, where we found him getting ready to check out.  He seemed pleased to see us.  Because he was busy with hospital matters, our talk had to wait a few minutes.  We sat patiently be while paperwork was filled out, medications were explained, and appointments were scheduled.  Finally, Eddie sat himself down sheepishly in a wheelchair for a ride to the front door.  We followed. 

A Walk, a Stop, a Ride, and a Story

At the door, Eddie stood hesitantly, carrying a small bag the nurse had prepared for him.  He had told us he wanted to talk to us about Rosa, but at the same time he seemed anxious to be on his way.  We walked with him from hospital lobby to sidewalk. 

I squinted in the bright noonday sun.  It was hot, but there was a nice breeze from the west.  Eddie looked awkwardly left and right, as if he wasn’t sure what to do next.  “Do you need a ride?” I asked. 

His face lit up.  “Yes, I do,” he responded, with a smile.  I smiled, too.  I had solved at least one problem for Eddie today.

“Are you in a big hurry, Eddie?” Bambi asked.

“I guess not,” he responded, with a quizzical look.

“It’s just that we’re right next door to the preschool where I work.  I'd like to stop in and check on a few things while we're here.  I will be quick.”

Eddie seemed satisfied, and nodded.  “No problem,” he said.  "I don’t have anything pressing on my schedule today.  I just need to figure out what to do next for Rosa.  I guess I can do that from the church as well as from my apartment.”

We walked across to Shepherd of the Hills.  Bambi went out to the playground to talk to one of her teachers, and Eddie and I wandered over to the sanctuary.  It was cool inside, and deserted.  We settled comfortably into a pew.

"I got off easy,” Eddie began.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“I didn’t kill my fool self with that little helicopter.”

I nodded.  We each followed our own thoughts in silence for a couple of minutes.  I said a prayer of thanks for the safety of Bambi and myself, and Eddie, and asked for wisdom in helping Eddie and Rosa.

Eddie broke the silence.  “I used to go to a church like this,” he said.  “It was a long time ago.  I was just a kid, really, a teenager.”  He thought for a moment.  “I sort of drifted away while I was in the Navy, and never really got involved in the church again.”  I nodded. 

“Maybe if I’d stayed more involved in the church, I would’ve been in a better position to help Rosa.  At least I might have more practice praying for her.”  He bit his lower lip.
“Maybe,” I responded.  “But you can still pray for her.  And we can work together to help her now."  Eddie smiled. 

"Bambi and I got the beginning of the story yesterday, but we really don’t understand what kind of help Rosa needs, or how you expected to help her by flying up to Sycamore Canyon.”

“You did help me when I needed it the other day, and you do keep coming back to hear about my problems, and Rosa’s.  I’m not sure why, but maybe there’s a reason we crossed paths.” 

As we both looked up at the cross over the chancel, Bambi entered the sanctuary.  Hearing no conversation, she began telling Eddie a little about the church and her preschool.  Eddie listened with apparent interest.  Either he was a good actor or he was thinking seriously about getting involved.

Bambi said the preschool issues were under control, so she was free to come along on the ride to take Eddie home.  

We walked out to the car.  Following Eddie's directions, I drove south on La Serna, then turned left at Whittier Boulevard.  I thought about how we would proceed with the conversation.  I had the sense that Eddie wanted to tell us the whole story, but that if we pushed too hard, he might get spooked and stop talking.  So we had to let him tell it at his own pace.

When we stopped at a traffic light at the entrance to Whittwood Town Center, I found myself looking longingly at the Carl’s Jr. on the corner.  That banana had been a long time ago.

The light changed, and I accelerated.  “Where did you get the helicopter, Eddie?” I asked casually.

“I borrowed it,” he responded.  Apparently uncomfortable, he offered no more information.

“Who did you borrow it from?” I pressed just a little.

“From a friend of mine.”  He paused, took a deep breathe and continued.  “I guess I stole it,” he admitted.

Bambi joined in.  “Why did you take it, Eddie?”  she asked.  I stopped for the next traffic light.

“I didn’t mean to steal it,” Eddie responded.  “I was going to ask Hank if I could borrow it, but he wasn’t home.”  He looked back and forth from Bambi to me, as if seeking approval. 

"Who is Hank?" Bambi inquired nonchalantly.

“Hank was with me on USS Iwo Jima,” Eddie told us.  “Hank was the one who showed me what little I know about flying.  It was a long time ago.  When we were on the ship we kind of hit it off because we both went to the same high school, even though we weren't there at the same time.  When we got out of the Navy, we stayed in touch."  I wondered which high school, and when, but I didn't interrupt.  He was on a roll.

"Hank built that ultralight by himself," Eddie went on.  "I knew he would help me, maybe even let me use it, once he understood how important it was to me, and to Rosa.  But he wasn’t home.”  Bambi and I exchanged a glance.  The more Eddie talked, the more questions we had to ask him, eventually.

I started with an easy one.  “Where does Hank live, Eddie,” I asked.

“Oh, he lives on the lower part of Rideout,” Eddie responded.  "Down on the south side of Sycamore Canyon.  Below where you live, I guess.”  He paused.  “I didn’t really get too far with the helicopter,” he admitted, awkwardly.

“Do the police know you took the flying contraption, Eddie?” asked Bambi.

“No,” Eddie replied.  “I’m already in enough trouble for flying without a license.  I admitted that to them, when they came to talk to me in the hospital.  They're still deciding what to do about that.  I didn’t think it was in my best interest to admit that I stole the aircraft, too.  I told them it was my helo.”

"Where is Hank now, Eddie?” I asked. 

"I guess he’s out of town.  He hasn’t come home yet.  I dread having to tell him I wrecked his ultralight.  I don’t think he’ll press charges on me… we go way back.  But he’ll be really upset that I wrecked it.”

We crossed into La Habra.  “Tell us what happened at Hank’s house.”  Bambi got our inquiry back on track.

“Well,” Eddie said, staring upward, “Hank left his garage unlocked.  So while I was waiting for him to come home, I pulled it out into the yard, just to save time.”

I was so fascinated that I almost didn’t notice the Super Turtle restaurant on the right.  I love Super Turtle Tortas.  But Eddie’s story was getting really good.

“Then I started it,” he went on, “just to see if it was working all right.  Then I strapped myself in, just to see if I knew how.”  Eddie’s voice trailed off... 

And then, there I was, all ready to go…”

“What did you do, Eddie?”  Bambi urged him on.

“Well, I just pulled back on the stick, and rose up into the air."  Eddie smiled happily, then suddenly remembered his little adventure hadn't ended so well, and frowned.  “Turn right on Euclid Street,” he told me just in time.  “Then left on La Habra.”

Bambi and I glanced at each other.  We were both thinking how to ask the big question that we had to ask next...  But before we could ask it, Eddie piped up again.  "Here," he said, "Turn left here.  There's my apartment, up there.  You can pull over anywhere."

Eddie lived in a small second floor apartment.  His injuries had not been nearly as serious as they could've been, but he was definitely walking with a limp.  He also seemed to have some issues with balance, so we walked with him up the stairs. 

Eddie unlocked the door, took one step inside, and paused.  He turned and asked us in.  It was obvious that he was only trying to be polite.  He wanted our help, but he was uncomfortable.  After all, he barely knew us.  Maybe the thought he was saying too much.  After all, he had just confessed to grand larceny.  We knew he wanted our help, and we wanted to help him.  But we had to be patient.  Maybe he was tired of talking about it.  Maybe he was just tired.

I was thinking about taking him up on the invitation, sincere or not, but Bambi responded first.  “No, Eddie," she said, "I don’t think we should come in today.  I think you should rest.  But we do have just one more question.”  Eddie smiled a friendly but tired smile.

“Why,” Bambi asked, “did you need a helicopter?”  There it was.  She had acknowledged the elephant in the corner.

Eddie smiled even wider, at first.  I guess he was worried we were going to interrogate him about stealing the helicopter.  Then the smile faded and he grimaced with worry.  “To find Rosa, of course,” he responded.  “She was kidnapped.  They’re holding her prisoner somewhere in Sycamore Canyon.”

My jaw dropped.  I hadn’t seen that one coming.  From her expression, neither had Bambi.  Had we been fooled into taking seriously a man who wasn't really in touch with reality?  Prisoner in Sycamore Canyon?  Impossible. 

I remembered to close my mouth as Eddie continued.  “I really appreciate your help,” he said.  “And I do think I could use some more help, if you’re still willing.  Can we talk again tomorrow morning?  Would that be okay?”

Bambi found her voice first.  “Absolutely!”  Smiling confidently, she added, "We’ll give you a call in the morning.  You call if you need anything, okay?”

Eddie nodded, smiled, and quietly shut the door.  Bambi turned to go down the stairs.  I stood still looking at the closed door. 

Kidnapped?  Why?  Was this story real?  Being held in the canyon?  How was that possible?  Even if it was, why use a helicopter to try to find her instead of simply walking into the canyon? Why? 

I forced my whirling thoughts to slow down, and turned to follow Bambi.  She was looking at me, amused.

“Carl’s Jr. or Super Turtle?” I asked.

Beau

No comments:

Post a Comment